View Single Post
Old 04-18-2022, 08:08 AM
Brian K

Default The Babe that wasn't, then was

When I was in high school in central NY, there was a card auction at a hole in the wall auction house. I had a bunch of summer jobs, and was scarfing up on T206's at $10 a piece, which were all HoF'ers. Near the end of the sale, a 1933 Babe Ruth came up for sale, winning price was $400, my dad was pushing me to go for it, but I was content with my haul. Of course then came the remorse for not going for it. Fast forward 20+ years, I moved to Oregon and always kept tabs on another hole in the wall auction house. One week, randomly, a 1933 Babe Ruth popped up, not in great shape, but still, a chance for redemption. I went and looked at it, and confirmed it was the real deal. Bidding starts, and I jumped in, hammer price $375. It ended up grading a PSA 1, with current prices, I would say that is my best. Close second would be the 48 Leaf Jackie Robinson that I bought from a very angry, recently divorced wife who sold it to me for $800, which graded a PSA 4.

I was on the other side of a "helluva deal" on this very board around 2009. I sold my T206 collection to a board member for $1500, and I can only imagine what that lot is worth now. I needed the money to ship my paintings to my first solo gallery opening, so it went to a good cause, but I know there was a lot of value in there. Oh to go back in time...