View Single Post
Old 04-04-2022, 06:45 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
I wouldn't go as far as "under no premise" but certainly that's the case as a general rule. Still, I suspect there are plenty of collectors who might have some formula for calculating what they're willing to bid (based on prior sales and adjusting for buyer's premium, sales tax, shipping charges or whatever) then calculate that they're willing to bid up to, say, $594 for the card. And among those people are surely some who would bid $575 but not $600 if both options were available but who absolutely would have bid $600 if it was the first increment available after $550. On balance though, sure, smaller increments lead to slightly higher sale prices.
Hey Glenn!

I think I would stick with the "under no premise" based on the statements second half of "at this second". I agree, most folks have a set budget and the OPs math is sound, but it's leaving out the all important psychology.

I think the more people you don't scare off prior to extended bidding, the higher chance you have of the psychology changing to the auction house's advantage. Those late night bidding wars are simply people getting caught in the excitement and lowering defenses. With days on the timer, that excitement is replaced with logic. This leaves out prospective bidders from extended bidding and lowers the chances of additional back and forth to extend time.

Opinion based on my observations and trying to use my psychology college work that I never use in my real job, lol.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.