Thread: eBay vault
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2022, 08:04 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post

Think of it this way. You live in Delaware where there's no sales tax, and acquire a really nice '52 Topps Mantle online through a big AH. So when it is delivered to your home, no sales tax is due. Oh, and you keep the card in a safe in your home. A couple years later you and the family pick up and move to California, and take all your belongings with you to CA, including the '52 Mantle. There is no CA sales tax agent waiting at the border to ask for CA sales tax on the Mantle. So why would that be different if you kept it in a vault instead of your house?
BobC,
I think you are incorrect on this point. Sales tax is owed by the purchaser to the State of their residence. (if they live in a destination-based State, which is most). A seller who collect and remits sales tax is doing so for the "convenience" of the purchaser. It is the purchasers responsibility to report a purchase and remit the appropriate tax to the State. (nearly impossible to enforce in face-to-face transactions).

I believe there used to be a way to request a refund of sales tax from the non-resident state to transfer to the resident state, but that was a long time ago and may not be the case anymore.

I believe the holding in the vault may just be technically a suspension of the transaction. Completion upon delivery would trigger the taxable event.