View Single Post
Old 03-12-2022, 12:32 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
My daughter is 26 and one of her first memories is watching the towers fall on 911, coupled with the mortgage meltdown in 2008, divisive polarized politics (shame on y'all), a general lack of respect we have for each other as humans, her's was the first generation raised on social media and all it's negative influences, etc., then throw in a world wide pandemic and now a war.

We were talking about it one day and she said "My generation is tired of constantly going through life changing events, we just want some degree of normalcy in our lives". Her and her friends are a smart group of kids, they know baloney when they see or hear it, and have a real solid no nonsense middle class approach to life.
I very much feel this.

I'm 27, only a year older than your daughter. It seems like every time something settles down, or we're getting ready to do something, a world changing event happens.

Right before the pandemic occurred, I was getting my finances in order to finally purchase a home. Housing prices in New York were already high to begin with, but I was looking at a nice little Co-op for a shade over 250K. I would be able to put down enough to have an affordable mortgage, on my modest salary. I budgeted everything, and crunched the numbers and figured "well if things keep going the way they do, I can definitely buy something like this within the year"

Then Covid hits, the Real Estate boom as crushed any thought of that. The one that I was looking at? Just sold for 325K, it's absurd. I'm considering ditching the state all together, and looking for a job elsewhere because at the rate we're going I'm never going to be able to afford a house.

As for the cards? Who knows. I don't think anyone thought a global pandemic would turn cardboard into an extreme asset class, that doubled or tripled the value of certain cards in some cases.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.