Thread: eBay wasteland
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2022, 07:36 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I think there is a lot of truth to that Adam. While people may have sold off some of their top stuff years ago on eBay, now they are sitting back and just waiting. And will deliver it to an AH when they want to get out en masse.

I can recall PWCC auctions from years ago where it seemed there were PSA 7 and even 8 Ruth and Gehrig cards all the time in auctions. Sometimes there would be 5 or 6 high end Gehrig and Ruth Goudeys in different variations in every auction. Now you see ebay sellers (yes, I realize PWCC is no longer on eBay) selling a single PSA 2 or 3. Just seems like people are banking the good stuff.

I also collect photos and memorabilia. Ebay has been basically useless. A few known sellers boosting prices up to absurd levels ("OK, I just bought this at RMY last week for $1400, let me list is for, uh, $8000 . . .") but not a lot more than that. Forget about cool obscure stuff. Just not seeing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I don't think volume of quality vintage material has dried up because of eBay's policies, which are 'meh' to most people. It is FOMO: with the market for vintage cards off to the races and so many cards rising precipitously in every auction, only someone who needs cash flow now is going to sell good stuff. Otherwise, the smart move is to hold until the market levels off a bit. I know, timing markets is tricky stuff, but this is the best shot ever to really cash in. People watch. They saw what basketball did at the start of the price surge, and now see that same pattern in baseball. I sold some highly appreciated basketball early into the price surge, but still missed out on nearly 2x the profit by not timing the market a bit better. The volume of stuff going through auctioneers right now is astounding. I know of several boomers with highly appreciated, very deep collections getting out in anticipation of retirement. They aren't gonna spend years unwinding their collections at retail on eBay. They go to AHs.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-15-2022 at 07:37 AM.