View Single Post
Old 02-10-2022, 02:51 PM
Marcos

Default “…check to see if a card is altered”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I left a comment for a YouTube content creator; The Personal Finance Dad. I was pointing out the potential pitfalls of the eBay authentication service. To my amazement, eBay replied to my comment.

EDITED TO ADD: "...Authenticators will check to see if a card is altered..."

So, there we have it.
This response from eBay is very interesting — but I’d like further clarification/confirmation from the company regarding the authentication process. Does it really mean that, in addition to determining whether or not a raw card is an outright fake – the review process also determines whether the card has been trimmed, recolored, or in other ways doctored? If the process covers all of the above, then the concept might have wings.

Also, if the authentication service eventually drops down to include lesser value cards (see post #55 - interview with eBay’s Director of Trading Cards), I think it might be good news for the “raw card” segment of eBay buyers and sellers. Many collectors are not interested in slabbed cards. They just want to know that a raw eBay card – that they can’t hold and inspect – is not fake or doctored. For raw cards, it seems like this authentication review service would evoke more confidence in buyers – and stimulate more transactions for sellers.

I realize there are a lot of “ifs” involved here.