View Single Post
Old 02-05-2022, 09:18 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnphotoman View Post
Thanks to all, I did not want to go down this road. But since this is a discussion and information forum, Can you please educate me on the type of photos. Why, is 1958-61, Sans-Serif photos Type 1, while 1962-65 are type 2. I am hesitant to ask, because of my other post
I've attached a photo that shows the difference between the Jay's photo fonts. The top script is the 1957 to 1961 font. The bottom is the 1962 to 1965 font. Jay's Fonts.jpg

Yes, Jay's photos were made in 1957 as well. They were also made in 1956, as mentioned in BuzzD's post. A regular team set and a World Series set were made that year. The next photo shows the font from those sets.
Jay's Fonts 1956.jpg

Quote:
One more question...Are there any other years' that come in photo packs, like the 1940s? Thanks, John.
Quote:
PS, I was on one of the websites reading about photo packs, they did not mention 8x10 photos. Quote: "During the 1940's, early 1950's, many teams for a time released an annual issue of twenty-five 6-1/2" x 9"" black and white photographs that picture pack photos were sold at the souvenir stands."
I know the Yankees had photo packs from 1947 to 1950. They are readily available on eBay.

Quote:
And-During an eight-year period starting in 1958 through 1965 Jay Publishing issued a series of 5 x 7 black & white player portrait or posed action photos, for a number of major League teams. Sold in team sets of 12 they were made available through ballpark concession stands and the mail.
I think Jay's photos had Yankee sets from 1956 to 1965.

At some point, Jay's photos were sold in stores. I've attached a picture of one envelope and I have another more common form of store packaging, but can't put my hands on it now (but it is seen on eBay frequently for various teams). The shown envelope is unopened so I'm not sure what year is inside (hopefully there are pictures and not blank paper )

Mantle 1960 Jay's Photo set envelope.jpg

Lastly, as another curve, in 1962, there is a Jay's variation set. The following photo shows the Mantle. The font in this set is different from the others. In addition, the photo is cropped differently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mantle 1962 Jay Regular Set - Variation.jpg (76.8 KB, 37 views)