View Single Post
Old 01-30-2022, 07:33 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooChild View Post
Just for fun, I asked five guys at my gym (one was actually a 2nd round MLB draft pick in 2006) if they knew who Walter Johnson is, and if so, what is his occupation. All of the guys are in their late 20's/early 30's and none of them knew him. Their occupation guesses included Politician/Senator and NASCAR driver.

I'm not sure that I 100% understand the question, but your average non Pre-War card collectors probably consider the following as "tier 1" HOFers: Ruth, Cobb, Cy Young, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Jackie Robinson, Mantle, Clemente, Mays, Aaron, Nolan Ryan, Henderson, Ripken, Griffey, and Jeter. Basically guys who are known in pop culture. Rose, McGwire, Bonds, and Clemons would count too if they were in.

My best guess for "tier 2" from average fans today could include Yogi Berra, Seaver, Reggie Jackson, Schmidt, Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, and Mariano Rivera. They might know Wagner for the "million dollar" card but I doubt they know how good he actually was.
That is so true about Wagner. I have collected for around 35 years and if not for this site I considered him the Billy Ripken of old cards. A nobody player known for one card.