View Single Post
Old 01-30-2022, 08:34 AM
Frank Wakefield

All of those responses are correct, and give you an idea of how nebulous 'vintage' might be. For me, I think of Pre-Topps. 48 Bowmans and Tip Top Bread are near the newest of the vintage. 1951 Bowmans are there, at the edge.

I once read something about an American from the south, he goes to college here, maybe graduates in the 50's. Later in life he was the editor of a national magazine, here. He got a Rhodes scholarship, and goes to England to study. I think he's at Oxford. He's trying to research something that happened close in time to World War I, he's in the History Department, and he can't find anything close to his search. He asks for help, and he is politely told that this is the History Department, anything that recent would be found in the Journalism Department.

The point is that 'vintage' is a subjective target. Golly, when I was a kid the oldest card I saw was a 1959 Topps, hadn't heard of Goudey, Cracker Jack, or tobacco cards. The kid who had them wouldn't trade them away. This would have been in 1964 or 1965. I recall we wanted new cards, and there's no way that in 1966 we'd have traded 5 1966 Topps for 5 1962 Topps... it might take 15 or 20 1962 cards to get 5 new cards. As kids we were idiots. And as an old guy I think I'm still a bit of an idiot.

OK. I think that Rhodes Scholar from above is the guy who wrote My Dog Skip, a good book for a baseball fan to read, it was made into a movie. If I'm thinking write (pun intended), his name was Willie Morris. Another book of his... Always Stand In Against The Curve.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 01-30-2022 at 08:36 AM.