View Single Post
Old 01-16-2022, 09:18 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
The card was originally not worthy of a PSA 10 grade. It was then altered and fixed, and then garnered a PSA 10 grade. Really no different than trimming or patch-swapping.

If the card was graded by PSA as ALTERED with Auto AUTHENTIC presuming they evaluated the autograph (which they didn't), then the flip would be accurate and the buyer would know what they're getting. As of right now, it's a Frankenstein card.

Similar to the 1994 Griffey and Mantle autos. Many were released unsigned, some were released with Griffey auto, some with Mantle autos, and some with both autos. Do you just assume that all cards you would come into contact with having both autos are authentic as released cards? Who's to say Mantle didn't sign afterwards, or Griffey did? Does that make the cards less valuable? Yes. Or did a forger put either's auto on there?

I just don't get you. Perfectly okay with fraud. Just a cost of doing business. Why not just buy counterfeit Jackie Robinson cards? Why are they worse than originals?
Not that the originals ended up being particularly valuable, but I have read that many of the 93 Hoops Bird/Magic dual autos are just aftersigned cards. Relatively speaking the originals are worth a lot more.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-16-2022 at 09:19 AM.