View Single Post
Old 01-12-2022, 09:17 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Whether it is valuable or not, it may have good value someday. Why destroy it using consumer tape when true archival tape is relatively inexpensive.

https://www.universityproducts.com/d...pair-tape.html

I purchased a 1" x 98' roll over 20 years ago and I still have it. You can get the smallest roll which is still 12 feet for $6.70 and with shipping it would probably be less than $15. If you use it on several items you've made your investment back.

This is essentially tissue paper with adhesive on one side. The challenging part is separating it from the backing paper. I use several methods, but it is a pain then you cut a small strip, separate it from the backing and it curls and sticks to itself. You then have to cut another strip.

One thing to consider when repairing something like this is to do it on the INSIDE of the cover, not the outside. After you put it in place you need to burnish it so that it fully flattens against the paper. This will also help push the separated edges together. I have a small plastic burnishing tool. It looks a bit like a tongue depressor with square ends and and partly rounded faces so it can be pushed along the tape and smooth it down. It is also great for taking wrinkles out of paper. If you don't want to purchase one of those a tablespoon works well.

If you are repairing a tear you need to cut a piece that is longer than the tear. This will prevent further tearing and reinforces the paper. If it is the full spine of the program you make it longer. After burnishing it you flip it over and use a razor blade to cut of the excess. You can protect the program from being damaged by putting a ruler or straight edge along the edge of the program while cutting.

This was just part of the discussion on the Babe Ruth signature in the autograph section. People cavalierly offer suggestions without considering the damage that can be caused.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 01-18-2022 at 02:36 AM.