View Single Post
Old 12-24-2021, 01:52 PM
J@E R1T0

Default Greatest UNKNOWN Pitcher Ever!!

The 6’5” three-hundred pound pitching sensation Pat “Paddy” McDonald became a fan favorite during the early days of the dead ball era. His immense size and scowling glare, coupled with a true contempt for his opponents, intimidated batters over the course of three seasons in the National League while playing, appropriately enough, for the New York “Giants.” So ill-tempered was he that Bob Ewing once proclaimed, “I don’t say much to Paddy or scarcely even look at him for fear he’d want to meet me under the bleachers after the game.”

Shown here performing his patented move during windup known as the “look-over-there point” designed to lure hitters to avert their attention from his otherwise clumsy delivery. Most would agree such a strategic deception was not needed, given the force and speed with which he threw the ball. Hitters like Honus Wagner would swear that they could smell smoke as his renown heater sped past them. This earned Paddy the nickname the Irish Fireballer.

In 1906, after his stint in the National League had apparently ended, players in the Tri-State League began to realize that the fire inside the big pitcher was still sweltering. Lancaster sent their resident brawler, Patsy Dougherty, himself a powerfully-built, no nonsense player awaiting a return to the majors, to try to settled down the opponent pitcher who was becoming a bit too confrontational with batters. After pitching seven shutout innings, Dougherty bumped Paddy outside the first base path in between innings. McDonald was no one to be confronted in such a manner and thus picked up Dougherty five feet in the air and tossed him headlong three rows into the stands! A lesson that did not escape the attention of opponents and major league clubs. McDonald was unofficially barred from the majors shortly thereafter. Said Pittsburgh manager Fred Clarke at the time, “McDonald’s efforts to intimidate batters might even make old Rube blush (referring to Waddell)!”

Known also for wearing shorts while playing, McDonald once scoffed, “Why should I wear the heavy socks, no one dares show me the steel (referring to the spikes worn on athletic shoes)!” A true original, this dominating pitcher left the sport to serve in the New York City Police Department and compete in strength events at the Olympic games. A two-time gold medalist, Pat McDonald is pictured here in his only known card, published in 1913.

[Anyone else want to entertain us with an Auction House style made up story about your favorite card??]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1913-McDonald-SGC3a.jpg (77.3 KB, 482 views)

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.

Last edited by Dead-Ball-Hitter; 12-24-2021 at 02:00 PM.