View Single Post
Old 12-18-2021, 09:45 AM

Default Observations while hunting for a Ryan rookie....

I'm down to needing one card for my '68 set, and there can be no doubt about which on it is.

What amazes me about what I've seen during my hunt for #177 is:

1) The number of sellers who SERIOUSLY over estimate the condition of their card.
2) The sheer number of cards there are for sale. I have it on my saved searches and every day at least a dozen pop up. At any given time an eBay search returns about 500 of them - some, yes, are reprints or other mistakes - but still there must be 450+ genuine articles out there, and a lot are in PSA 6 or equivalent or better.

It strikes me that with this sort of supply, the prices wouldn't be quite as high as they are.

Are most buyers looking to simply get one they think they can resell for more the next week?

As frustrating as it is, it's also very curious.

I remember buying my first Ryan rookie in about 2000, raw and in EXMT+ for $200 - boy, those were the days.

P.S. Which grading companies tend to be most conservative? I'm looking at an SGC 3 right now that looks for all the world like it should have been a 5. Is SGC more conservative? I've only ever purchased PSA slabs, and then only a very few.

Last edited by deweyinthehall; 12-18-2021 at 09:49 AM.