Thread: Gil Hodges
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2021, 06:42 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Strange case, as memory serves his four Baseball Reference metrics are really mediocre but despite that he had a great WAR and I think may rank in the top 30 in WAR or maybe the combo WAR WAR7 metric. Ill check. Not sure what the disconnect is there. Reminds me a bit of Bobby Grich on the batter side. Hall of Stats, which apparently is now defunct, rated him very highly.

Yeah, check this out.
Hall of Fame Statistics
Black Ink
Pitching - 7 (426), Average HOFer ≈ 40
Gray Ink
Pitching - 111 (231), Average HOFer ≈ 185
Hall of Fame Monitor
Pitching - 49 (289), Likely HOFer ≈ 100
Hall of Fame Standards
Pitching - 31 (155), Average HOFer ≈ 50
JAWS
Starting Pitcher (32nd):
69.5 career WAR | 43.7 7yr-peak WAR | 56.6 JAWS | 56.4 S-JAWS | 4.3 WAR/16

So for the stat guys, how does this make sense? How can his overall ranking be SO much higher than any of his individual rankings which after all look at stats from a number of angles.
Because these stats (black ink, grey ink, hall monitor, hall stabdards) look at players who were at top of the league, comparing them effectively to the best of their times or all time. WAR ranks them effectively compared to the absolute worst of the league, not even to league average but over a fantasy “replacement player”. Personally, I think Reuschel’s non WAR stats are a much more accurate picture. I’m not with the new math on Grich either, though he was a little underrated.