View Single Post
Old 12-08-2021, 12:16 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineunder71 View Post
Mike,
Here are some thoughts for you.

I agree with Bill that the card appears trimmed. Two reasons. First, the card clearly does not measure vertically, it is way short as it has a very small bottom border as well. Second, factory cuts will always be straight and opposing borders will always be parallel. A card can be Diamond cut, but still both will be true.

Without a better scan, I cannot be certain, but the top border does not look to be a straight cut to me, nor does it look parallel to the bottom border.

Now, technically, Frank could still be right. However, being that the card contains a not straight cut, the only way it was released from the factory in this condition is if it were a hand-cut “scrap” or printer’s scrap, otherwise the previous two rules would have to apply, and they don’t.

As far as the white at the top, interesting, as is the faded back stamp or possible WST from another set, or post-factory WST. The white is not just missing paper? Isn’t that a chunk of red still attached upper right?

Anyway, neat inquiry and a cooler card than first appears either way.

Good Luck!

Colton
While the factory cuts generally are straight and parallel, and the cards are usually around the "right" size, that's not always the case.

A few different things can cause curved cuts or odd cuts.
This one has a parallel but not straight cut probably caused by a piece of debris between the stack of sheets and the cutting surface. (where the blade came down there would be a sacrificial strip that beck then would have been wood. And as it wore pieces coming out wouldn't have been unusual.

I'm not sure if I have one, but T206 and caramel cards with non- parallel edges are out there.
I even have a T51 with a bit of extra paper projecting from one side - likely because of a chipped blade on the cutter.

What's a better indicator of a factory cut than any other is the edge quality where the start of the cut (nearly always on the front, so nearly always that I don't recall seeing any cut back to front.) is indented slightly and there's a corresponding ridge on the back. Having checked most of mine, I was very surprised to find that back ridge to be still present even on very worn cards.

I do think the top of this one is trimmed though. To my thinking the cut id just too sloppy. to be anything else.