View Single Post
Old 12-07-2021, 04:46 PM
P.aul Orl,in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Rarities View Post
There are two NCP booklets that I know of. I believe that they both contained 5 pictures. They are both intact. They were not meant to be separated. I will post pictures below.

Thanks for the Nichols image.

I have no idea where the larger cards came from. I wonder if they were removed from the NCP 5 card portfolios?
That is what it looks like. The bordered pictures with no holes are NCP portraits that were in those five player booklets. Those could all be the larger sized ones.

Then NCP (or as you pointed out, maybe the Sporting News offered these, after obtaining the image rights?) also issued a full 50 portrait booklet of just the NCP series, which were all hole punched and bound, in the smaller size. That size was then maintained for the Sporting News inserts, which were then sequentially issued with some players deleted from the roster and more current ones added, and then some additional ones created to reach 62 in the Sporting News. Dropped were such old favorites as Anson, Hoy, Ewing, Keeler, Robinson…added were Delehanty, Young, Lajoie, and others.

Just developing a working thesis….