Thread: REA results
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2021, 12:01 PM
P.aul Orl,in

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
Those Wagners are absolutely MAGNIFICENT! My gosh, man ... not just having one ... but both ... and sets? Yowza x 1000!

I think the general consensus is that Copper Plates were released before the Sporting News version, but your mention on both showing 1899 is something that frankly escaped me until you said something - great catch!

In any event, I still think that Copperplate somehow provided this artwork to Sporting News, which in turn, used it for their purposes, so mayhaps National Copperplate is a few months earlier than the Sporting News version? I don't think anyone would knock the Sporting News as being his rookie for that, though.

In any event, I would place them both as his rookie, with Sporting News being perhaps more desirable given the Sporting News pedigree, how it was released only for one day, and no holes. Maybe that's just me though, and heck, who on earth would complain about one over the other? It'd be like complaining about a Lamborghini having a slightly different shade of red
Thanks. For accuracy, i must correct the Sporting News description, the Wagner had been folded vertically so it is creased down the middle by his shoulders, more noticeable on the left side than the right. The photo i uploaded from my phone didn’t remind me of that detail, but in reviewing on my larger computer again I saw that. sorry about that. It still has no stains or tears and presents beautifully, but I like the correct info to be out there.