Thread: REA results
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2021, 11:30 AM
P.aul Orl,in

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsmithnocure View Post
Those are beautiful. Out of curiosity, what makes you think that the National Copper Plate Wagner predates the M101-1 Sporting News? Both were issued in 1899, correct?

I know that the National Copper Plate cards were issued 1898 and 1899 and the M101-1 Sporting News cards were issued weekly during the 1899 and 1900 seasons, but it seems as though both Wagners were issued in 1899. The M101-1 actually has the exact date of August 19, 1899 printed on it while the National Copper Plate has just 1899 noted.

There has been a National Copper Plate Wagner for what seems like years. I wish that it fit in my collecting budget.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13216270408...QAAOSwIWVY9VvV

REA also had a real nice bound near set several years ago that had a really nice Wagner in it.
I acquired the Wagner in that REA lot. I say it predates it because of the player selection difference in the two sets, with Anson and Hoy and others in the copper Plate and then not in the Sporting News, so I am assuming earlier players vs later players despite them being around the same time. I think you can look up the full set lists elsewhere but i could make a more thorough comparison. I think the standard catalogue shows the national copper plate as earlier. Could do more work on that!