View Single Post
Old 11-22-2021, 08:55 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
So true. In fact, weed has gotten me away from booze entirely. A nice edible mellows me out way better than a shot of whiskey and without the deleterious side effects. Just a little cottonmouth.

But I digress...

Investor-Collector? Collector-Investor?

--When I was a kid and $3.25 could get you a good condition 1952 Bowman Mantle at auction at a local card show (true story) no one was an investor.

This is the stuff that kills me, obviously we can't pick when we can go around the sun, in this world, but none of us will ever experience prices remotely close to this for modern cards (not that I'm a modern guy, but still) , let alone vintage.

I'm happy with my 52 Bowman, but I had to pay a decent penny for this one. Some cards seem so unreachable nowadays, like #311 for example. A double printed issue, with a good amount of cards known to the world. Hell I wouldn't mind If I even had to pay $5K for one of them. But $30K, for a PSA 1? I say to myself that hopefully by the time I retire, which is a LONG time from now, that I'll be able to get one, because collecting is a journey.

Vintage, has a STEEP entry point, for newer collectors, especially those on fixed budgets. Kids will never be able to enter the hobby as they once could. What 10 year old can afford a $100 card let alone something that's $1000. Well every thread needs a card, here's my 52 Bowman.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.