View Single Post
Old 11-21-2021, 12:28 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
The only person being embarrassed in this thread is you. You’ve progressed into actually having some points beyond claiming to be infallible and have a statistical model you can’t show that proves your claims, but any good point in it is lost by the constant insults of everyone else here and the childish immaturity of your ‘over the top brag - insult’ pattern that never ceases. I’m well aware of what BABIP is and already said the defense behind the pitcher needs to be adjusted for. Regardless of what you claim, great contact pitchers find success at not giving up many runs, often equal to or even better than great K pitchers. Dismissing all non K centric pitchers, which seems to be your implied basis for ignoring Spahn but including his exact contemporary Koufax, is not supported by the data. It does not appear to be random luck, and they tend to have lower BABIP’s over large sample sizes.

But I’m illiterate and homeless, among many other things.

In one breath, you claim to understand BABIP and its implications, and in the very next breath you use the completely nonsensical term of "great contact pitchers" as if such a thing exists. This is what I'm trying to tell you. There is no such thing as a "great contact pitcher". They are the Loch Ness Monster of baseball. A myth. If you don't understand this, then you don't understand BABIP and why it is important.

This isn't exactly news either. Every franchise in the league today knows this. You might find some old school uneducated managers here and there who still reject it, but the front offices and owners across the league all accept this fundamental truth. It's been well known for the better part of 20 years now.

You should read this. It's a link to the original research article by the guy who discovered this fundamental truth about pitchers not being able to control contact after the pitch.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/n...-hurlers-have/

Last edited by Snowman; 11-21-2021 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Spelling