View Single Post
Old 11-04-2021, 04:09 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
I found my way into a new card store in the Boston area earlier today and noticed this machine (see below) by the exit of the store.

I guess I missed this new TPG option if it’s been covered elsewhere in another thread - but apparently Card Score is an inexpensive ($15/card) new way of “partial self-serve” where you scan your card (raw or graded) and it’s uploaded and sent for review and grading by 40+ graders at Card Score, the outlier grades are thrown out and you are left with an overall score as well as sub-scores (edging, centering, corners, etc)

It’s pretty different - you don’t actually send your card in… they send you a case with the grade (not sure why I could not simply insert a lower grade card into the case - apparently there is some “fingerprint” level ability to scam proof shenanigans)

I plan to check out their web site to read more.

I was curious if others have studied this new option more closely… apparently it’s only about 2 weeks or so old in the Boston market

I hope it does give an affordable new option to authenticate and grade (or re-grade) cards. Love to hear your thoughts and predictions.

Jeff
Yes, there was an earlier thread about this before. Biggest questions are how good the authentication and grading services can be when all the graders ever see is a scan, and as you pointed out, the issues that arise from this company then sending you the components for you to then slab the card yourself. Definite concerns as to how to make sure the scanned card actually is the same one that gets slabbed, and how tamper proof can their slabs be if they let the person buying the service do the actual sealing of a card in their holder. No QC whatsoever.

When i first heard about this I thought the individual card shops these machines would go in would be some type of partner/franchisee of this new company, and anyone using this service would then leave their card with the card shop, and the card shop would then handle the actual scanning and sealing of a card in it's holder before returning it back to it's owner. Still leaves some potential QC and other issues, and would seem to be a better indicator of a card's appearance to the naked eye, as opposed to a technical grade. Not sure this would garner a lot of acceptance for the higher-end, more valuable cards, and certainly doesn't help registry people. Could catch on with some portion of the hobby community as it definitely addresses turnaround time issues and costs in getting something graded. The main question is will the hobby community as a whole accept their service, and will people actual believe and pay more for higher graded examples of their cards as opposed to those graded by other TPGs or kept and sold raw. Have to wait and see.