View Single Post
Old 11-04-2021, 11:27 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
I’m torn because of his…character issues. The credible statutory rape allegations even more so than the gambling, although the gambling is a major issue as well. Just not the kind of guy I want to spend a bunch of money on for cards.
It's always tough and a bit of a line to cross when we expect too much in the way of our sports heroes being (necessarily...) good at other areas of their life. The HOF on the whole has what's probably a pretty low bar to clear; there are alcoholics and drug users in the HOF, there are wife beaters and criminals. Other HOF's other places have enshrined murderers. Pete's problem is mainly that the 3rd rail he chose to step on was one so tightly wound to the game he loves, hence the harshest judgment possible that was handed down. But does it really make him a continually terrible person who is not worthy of respect for what he did on the field? I'm torn on the issue myself. Have been ever since it happened when I was 12. But my observation just for the moment is that it's problematic for baseball, or any sport - when some of their major record holders, the guys that did the huge things - cannot be enshrined for such reasons.

Last edited by jchcollins; 11-04-2021 at 01:44 PM.