View Single Post
Old 10-25-2021, 10:19 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
There are many other things to consider before you begin and even after you are on your way. Is this collection for you to keep long term or is it something you are hoping to sell…. and if so at what point? You will have to decide graded and slabbed or raw…. and if graded, what service or services will you accept. In addition and maybe most importantly of all, what eye appeal are you seeking as well as what “condition” the cards should be in. Many a collector has started sets that ultimately were not making them happy as time went on with many cards needing to be upgraded. Even within each grade , some people really love centering ( like me) where others love those sharp corners. For some back damage isn’t important … even if it kills the technical grade. In closing I would go back to one of the more opinionated people ever involved with our great hobby ( and that’s saying a lot) …. Mr Mint Alan Rosen who stated years ago to always buy the very best you could afford and you will never be sorry. On this I’d say he was right on the money! Good luck and enjoy the chase!! Rock
I'm buying for my personal collection, not resale. Obviously I hope it appreciates in value, but if I'm just looking to make money, I'd buy stocks.
I have a good idea of condition that I'm looking for (it obviously varies with the scarcity of the card -- my 1952 Robinson won't be as nice as my 1956 Robinson). As long as it's consistent for any given year, it doesn't matter if the 1952s are 2 and the 1959s are 8s. I have enough confidence in my eye that I don't require graded cards, but eventually they will all be graded for the protection/preservation of the cards.