View Single Post
Old 10-18-2021, 01:08 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Suppose the winner and higher bidders were unaware of the controversy, or chose to believe PSA and JSA. How does that show acceptance by the community as a whole? Your reasoning sounds circular, it sold for a lot of money, therefore it's accepted.
Well......yeah!

Peter, take a look at what Jason.1969 said in his post, and my response to that. I'm not saying I agree and accept that the Jackson autograph is legit, but because others do, I have to accept that that signed photo is worth serious money.

Put it this way. Now that you know that at least two people feel this item is worth over $1M, what if hypothetically speaking, you lucked out and somehow you could acquire this photo for $500K right now, knowing there are at least two people out there that would give over $1M for it tomorrow then. Are you telling me that even though you may not believe that autograph is real, that you still wouldn't pull the trigger and acquire it for $500K today so you could resell it and double your money tomorrow? You know you would. I would. Heck, anyone with half a brain would. And that is what I mean by it now being accepted in the hobby as having a significant value, regardless of whether or not you believe Joe Jackson actually signed the photo.

And the whole community doesn't have to agree to make it acceptable. Just think of the vast number of "normal" people out there in society who view us baseball card collecting nerds as complete idiots because we spend so much time and money acquiring little pieces of cardboard that mean virtually nothing to them. But then what happens to one of these "normal" people if say an elderly relative passes away, and while going through their belongings they come across some Old Judge cards, including a Delahanty HOFer card. Even though they couldn't care less about these cards and have no use or desire to keep them, they are aware that card collectors pay good money for old cards sometimes, and accept that these cards are collectible and definitely worth something. So when they see a sign for a card show at a local Holiday Inn, they grab the OJs they found and head up there with their spouse, where they eventually run into me through an acquaintance because no one else at the show knew a damn thing about OJs, including the local rep handling the REA table.

Anyway, helped them to realize what they had, and got the REA rep to call and get them a huge reduction on the seller's commission before they consigned the OJs to them. Bottom line was, they had no use or desire for the cards themselves, but accepted that these OJ cards were valuable because others would pay good money for them, and didn't just throw them out. People in the hobby who don't believe the Jackson auto is legit are going to be like the couple that found the OJ cards. They may not feel the item is worth anything to them personally, but because they know it is valued by others, they'll accept that and treat it like the valuable collectible that it actually is.

Now if that is a circular argument, then I guess so be it.

Last edited by BobC; 10-18-2021 at 08:45 PM.