View Single Post
Old 10-18-2021, 11:08 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I entirely understand your concern/issue, and don't disagree at all. What's the old saying though, "Money talks, and BS walks!". You can still have a lot of people who do not believe it is real, but even so, they now know that at least a few people in the hobby do feel it is real and will pay big bucks for it. So real or not, everyone knows this unique item is worth some serious money, and to me, that shows the acceptance by the hobby community that is a real collectible item. This item has a back story and provenance all its own, and that is a big reason why it is being accepted by at least some portion of the hobby. You don't have to like it or agree with it, but I think you have to accept it.

The modern version of the Hobby is that slabs and slips mean more to collector-investors than what’s inside the slab.

Similarly, the provenance associated with authenticity is now secondary to the “provenance” of a high publicity sale. There is a critical mass of wealthy collector-investors who will care much less about whether this item was actually signed by Joe Jackson and more about the fact that this is THE photo that sold for $1.4 million.

Some of you maybe saw that a doodle of an elephant from Gary V got slabbed by PSA and sold for $400,000. Laugh all you like, but this is today’s Hobby. We may make fun of the collectors paying six figures when the names aren’t Ruth, Cobb, or Shoeless Joe, but I suspect the “empathetic elephant NFT” and Jasson Dominguez 1/1 buyers have much more in common with many of us than we’d like to believe.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/