View Single Post
Old 10-18-2021, 10:23 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Great summary. The only quibble I would have is with the above, and it's similar to the argument around establishing card values from individual sales. This only establishes the acceptance of the item among the number of parties bidding on the item (at most), and the last 2 bidders (at least). Both/all could totally disagree with the 'eyes of the collecting community' as a whole. But I totally agree with the gist of what you are saying. There are at least 2 parties that strongly believe this to be authentic (for whatever reasons), otherwise the price wouldn't have been what it was.
I entirely understand your concern/issue, and don't disagree at all. What's the old saying though, "Money talks, and BS walks!". You can still have a lot of people who do not believe it is real, but even so, they now know that at least a few people in the hobby do feel it is real and will pay big bucks for it. So real or not, everyone knows this unique item is worth some serious money, and to me, that shows the acceptance by the hobby community that is a real collectible item. This item has a back story and provenance all its own, and that is a big reason why it is being accepted by at least some portion of the hobby. You don't have to like it or agree with it, but I think you have to accept it.