View Single Post
Old 10-09-2021, 03:50 PM
Jeff Carlson

So, my winnings from this contest arrived today. A very high grade 1956 Topps Herman Wehmeier card.

If you will indulge me a bit, I'd like to relate a story about my experiences here.

I stated accumulating '56 cards as soon as I got back into collecting in 2011. Just a few here and there because I liked the design. I was at a different place in my life back then and never envisioned seriously working on the set. The star cards just were way outside my budget. I was working on the mid to late 1970s sets that fit with my wallet.

On a lark, I entered a group break here hosted by user autocentral. One entry for around $30. I ended winning a 1938 Goudey Jimmy Foxx. If 1956 was way outside my wallet, you can imagine what a pre-war Goudey looked like to me. But, I hit on a idea that I could maybe use Jimmie to help me on that 1956 set that seemed impossible. I ended up doing a trade with user VintageLoz that got me the 1956 Clemente and Jackie Robinson. As it seemed like I fell into building the set, I kept plugging away at it. As my life situation changed, I got within striking distance of finishing and finished in 2018 after getting the Mantle and the checklists at the 2018 National in Cleveland.

Since my 1956 set was essentially started when I was a newbie collector and worked to completion over the span of 8 year, the conditions were all over the place. My star cards are generally VG to VGEX and the commons around VGEX to EX. But, there are plenty of cards well below that range. I've wanted to upgrade for a while, but I have had other priorities.

Which brings us to today. After opening Frank's gift, I pulled out my 1956 binder and went to the right page. Wouldn't you know it, my version of the Wehmeier card was in Fair to Good condition. So, not only did I get to upgrade my set, but I was also reminded of the role members here have played in helping me really get serious about the set and realize I can put sets like this together.

So, thanks all around.