View Single Post
Old 10-01-2021, 05:09 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlesinj View Post
I will add if not already mentioned in the scarcity point that from a collector standpoint back in the day they did not sign rookie cards or people did not want to ruin a card with a signature. That logic made a supply issue and now sediment has changed.
I’m sure some people had rookie cards back in the day (hence the vintage signed rookie cards) and I believe the general consensus was not to ruin the cards (that was my thought at least) by getting them signed. There were so many other mediums that were more popular with collectors, i.e. balls, photos, index cards, bats, etc.

Since the logic changed, for the most part (including myself), now if you want a vintage signed card the supply is limited.

I really am a single player collector (Brooks Robinson) and about three years ago I started a side project to acquire all of his regular issue cards signed; this was due to someone showing their collection and their signed cards looked really cool. I figured I had a few in my collection from in the past, but only found one and it was rough. Anyway, if you know Brooks he signs “everything”, but finding nice vintage examples are tough. Also, as mentioned in the thread, some are light, different locations on the card, up, down, blue, black, sharpie, etc. (not all cards are the same w/an auto).

At least in my experience the signed cards are not 10x higher, but I have very narrow focus.