View Single Post
Old 09-28-2021, 03:25 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think we have all had a similar type story. People read the news about Black Swamp and Wagners...so their cards must be worth millions too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
About ten years ago I guy I knew kept telling me how he had a file cabinet full of 1950s-1960s cards. I offered to buy them and told him to call me. Years later I get the call that he's moved to Kentucky and has to get rid of all the stuff in storage, including that cabinet, and do I want to come over and buy the cards. Um, no.

I grab a big wad of cash and head over there. He did indeed have a file cabinet full of cards. 80% of them were early 1990s football (mostly Pro Set). The rest were 1970s baseball with every star already picked out, and a tiny stack of beater commons from the late 1950s-early 1960s. And one box of 1970s football. Fortunately, whoever picked over the baseball didn't know football so there were some decent names in there albeit in collector grade. I ended up giving him $100 for the stuff I could use and taking the rest as a favor to get rid of them for him. I tried but could not even give away the junk wax. Apparently, no one needs 5000 count boxes of Pro Set and Pacific commons. Go figure.