View Single Post
Old 09-11-2021, 01:10 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I think one of your conditions was affordability. This set took a major price spike in the pandemic. I've seen the Ty Cobb double in price. If you look on ebay, the same cards in extremely poor condition that were $1000 just twelve months ago have all been raised in price to almost $2000.

Rogers Hornsby in this set appears to have tripled in value since the calendar turned to a new year. I'm kicking myself for not picking it up in January.

Walter Johnson and Babe Ruth have rocketed out of my price range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
The M101-2 Sporting News Supplements had also just seen a recent price surge for some of the superstar players in the Memory Lane auction from just a month or two ago. There was a thread about it you can look up that also talked about how great the set and its images are, and how you can still often find many of the 100 total supplements that comprise the set for aroung $100 or less.

That thread also includes more images from the set you can view. Overall, the supplements average size is approximately in the 7-1/2" - 8-1/2" X 10" range, but there are a couple two-page team photos that are about 16" X 10". To my knowledge, most all the M101-2 photos are unique to thet set. The set is also rather unique in that it contains not just portraits and action shots of current active players, but also duo player images, managers, team owners, league executives, team photos, and even one supplement of four umpires, of which two are in the hall of fame. I also don't know of any other pre-war set that includes Cobb, Wagner, WaJo, Mathewson, Speaker, Lajoie, Cy Young, Joss, and Joe Jackson, all while actively still playing. The set does have an advantage in that respect as it was put out from 1909 to 1913.

The images are great, and personally I think it is the best early image of Joe Jackson out there, especially when compared to the likes of some of his early caramel cards where it looks like he's wearing lipstick.

A lot of other good suggestions as well.

Last edited by BobC; 09-11-2021 at 08:02 PM.