View Single Post
Old 08-11-2021, 12:37 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default 1950 "Whiz Kids" team. The Phillies are the longest continuous franchise (est. 1883)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darner View Post
Here's Konstanty from the cover of the Inquirer's Sunday magazine, "Today" which published the other cut-out cards. Also some of my Whiz Kids pennants. If you look closely, they misspelled Konstanty as "Konstany" on the roster pennant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Ted:

Ed beat me to it, but Konstanty was included in the set, Well, not really. He was on the front cover of the first Inquirer Today Magazine that included the smaller photos you started this thread with. It was dated September 17, 1950 and this issue had Simmons, Heintzelman, Church, Silvestri, Ennis Waitkus, Meyer and Goliat. You can see the entire cover below.

If you want the rest of checklist as issued in the next three issues I would be glad to supply it as I have all four issues in the complete Magazine.

As for Ashburn bunting, I once had a conversation with Roberts about the Sisler homerun. He had gotten a hit earlier in the inning and Ashburn was up to bunt he and Waitkus over but Ashburn's bunt was bad and Robby was thrown out at third. I tried to kid him about Whitey laying down a bad bunt, but Robbie didn't bite and diss his friend, Saying Ashburn was the best bunter he ever saw.

Ed and Fred,

Thanks for solving the missing Konstanty mystery. I've wondered for many years why he wasn't included in my 24-card Whiz Kids set.

You guys are fantastic.

TED Z

T206 Reference