View Single Post
Old 08-07-2021, 09:28 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
And your premise is "what if" instead of "what was".

Did you want Ruth to change the mindset of the United States back then, I'm not quite sure he had the power to allow Black players to play in the MLB, that would have been the commissioner and others job?

Ruth's job was playing baseball. And Ruth played against the BEST that was playing.

If the Germans had a better game plan they would have won WWII right?

If someone else drafted Tom Brady then blah blah blah.

You can only play against who is playing. Maybe if Russell Wilson, Jamies Winston, Tom Elway, and many other chose baseball instead of football the talent level would be slightly better in baseball. So maybe THEE best arn't all in, just like back then.

Today 7% of MLBers are BLACK. Don't give me this Japan, Dominican, etc BS either, because they were not playing in the US back then regardless. More what if's. And that 7% is for 30 teams, so cut that in half like the number of teams and that's 3.5% Black players would play back then. I don't think that would alter the numbers/stats all that much.

Maybe if there were still 16 teams like in 1919 instead of 30 now the talent pool wouldn't be so diluted today, and we'd be watching super teams instead of watching the garbage Texas Rangers and Baltimore Orioles.

And would Ohtani even be pitching if there were only 16 teams, maybe maybe not, more what if's.

Go by what happened and what is happening, and what will happen.

Germans lost WWII

Babe Ruth was the greatest player of all time.

FACTS
I agree with you completely, but you can't get through to these guys, no matter what you come up with or say. They are loaded with today's facts and stats. They've had big drinks of the sacred Kool-Aid. Today's ballplayers are just so much better, never mind Jacoby Ellsberry and Giancarlo "don't call me Mike" Stanton, neither of which can get over their hangnails, but can sure draw a big paycheck. Obviously MLB was Wiffel Ball back when Ruth played. Walter "The Big Train" Johnson was really throwing slow-pitch softballs. All other pitchers were tossing even slower, maybe even placing T-balls. Ray Chapman didn't die from being hit in the head from one of those balls of fluff, he died of fright.