View Single Post
Old 07-24-2021, 07:02 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusturd View Post
I think it's you who can't understand what I'm saying because nowhere in your bloviated wall of words did you contradict anything I said. If you did, please identify. I can't find it.

Despite eBay being a worldwide marketplace, you seem to be hung up on the belief, that all of my wife's 10-20 sales are to residents of our own state. You do know how ebay works right? In reality maybe one was? Possibly two. Maybe none. Wouldn't that mean, using your explanation, that eBay unnecessarily collected sales tax on the rest? And charged a fee on top of it?

That's the only point I'm trying to make. If that is wrong, please say so.
You originally said/asked:

"I'm talking about the people like my wife that sell 10-20 items a year to clean out the garage/closets. These types of transactions don't require the collection of sales tax."

You specifically said those types of transaction don't require the collection of sales tax......period!!! My "bloviated" responses were trying to get you to understand you are wrong and that even some transactions like your wife's can be subject to sales tax. So the first thing I ever posted in response to you was to say you weren't right with what you stated and to contradict you, go back and read the very first line I wrote in Post @12. Forgive me for trying to be nice in the way I contradicted you. But as you so clearly stated in your last post, shown above, "nowhere in your bloviated wall of words did you contradict anything I said." So your accusation is 100% wrong, yet you didn't even realize it!!!!!

And then your response back to me was:

"LOL You're going to have to convince me with a precedent of a garage sale getting busted for not collecting and reporting sales tax. Or even a garage sale that collected sales tax. That would be good enough. Otherwise, in every practical sense, it's not really required."

So now you're laughing off what I said, AND asking me to prove it to you. But now you're talking about strictly garage sales and ignoring the fact this was all about Ebay and Ebay sales to begin with. So I took you at your word and went to the trouble of trying to explain in more detail how sales taxes work and how your wife's transactions if selling on Ebay could be construed as subject to sales tax. But again, that still isn't satisfactory enough for you and you come back and say:

"Well the whole thing is very convoluted. On the one hand, your saying sales tax shouldn't be triggered unless you exceed $100K and 200 transactions (I realize it may vary by state) and on the other your saying every sale made online is a business sale and should have tax collected. If the government really wanted to boost tax revenue for this country, they'd simplify or at least clarify the rules so people knew what they were supposed to do. The whole thing is one big gray area that simply compels people to pay tax 100% of the time, whether it's really required or not. Maybe that's intentional."

Based on what you just said in that post, you don't clearly seem to understand how sales tax works, or what the recent Supreme Court case was really about, or the differences in sales to states where a seller has a physical presence or not. Yes, sales taxes are not easy, and can be very confusing. So I made the mistake of again trying to be nice and use more "bloviated" words to further explain why you were wrong and how some of your wife's transactions on Ebay could be deemed taxable sales subject to the collection of sales taxes. And I wasn't just doing that for you, I was really doing it more for everyone else on here that read your post and would otherwise take what you had said about your wife's sales not being subject to sales tax collection to automatically be true!

I never said 100% of your wife's sales were all to sellers in the state she lives in. And yes, even if the in-state sales she makes are subject to sales tax, the sales to out of state sellers would likely not be subject to sales tax in other states because she doesn't reach the threshold for the required number of transactions in those other states. So in that instance, yes, Ebay didn't really need to collect sales tax on your wife's behalf for the out of state sales. I agree with that 100%, and in the 2nd paragraph of Post #12 I even guesstimated what percentage of total Ebay sales may not actually be subject to sales tax collection, in response to your question.

I wasn't disagreeing with that point about Ebay collecting fees on sales taxes they didn't really have to collect at all. I was disagreeing with your statement that all your wife's sales transactions if done via Ebay were simply not subject to sales tax collection at all!!! Go back and read the very first line I wrote in Post #12, where I did exactly what you are now saying I did not do!!!!!

And before coming back with some lame ass response stating that isn't what you were saying or that I don't understand what you meant......you said, "These types of transactions DON'T require the collection of sales tax" (emphasis added). Not that they normally don't, or generally don't, or in any way, shape or form ever implied that there might be any exception to what you said, you just stated they don't require the collection of sales tax, period!!!

Aaaarrrgggghhh!