View Single Post
Old 06-30-2021, 10:38 AM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
OK so it is the "no Team" variation. But we have a Schweitzer card that I can't find on any of the checklists. The only team he played for is St Louis AL, a team which happens to have an heretofore "missing" player, one of three "missing" players in the set.

Is there a chance this is a new discovery, or are the checklists I'm finding out of date and this isn't news anymore?
Scott, unfortunately, the checklists are out of date. Jerry Spillman and I were working on an update when he passed away. The missing players from the 1908 set of 192 are Dineen from St. Louis AL, Bates of Boston NL and McGann of Boston NL.

Schweitzer is one of the "No Team" additions that was added in 1909 to update the current rosters of their teams.

There are several of these "No Team" postcards that are not checklisted, such as the Amby McConnell below.

St Louis AL outfielder Charlie Jones' was cut from the team in August of 1908 and never played another MLB game. The Rose Co. updated the set by issuing a card of the current 1908-09 St Louis AL outfielder Al Schweitzer.

Boston AL second baseman Frank LaPorte was traded to the NY AL team in August of 1908. The Rose Co. updated their set by issuing a card of the current 1908-09 Boston AL second baseman Amby McConnell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg McConnell a.jpg (75.9 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 06-30-2021 at 10:56 AM.