View Single Post
Old 06-15-2021, 08:40 PM
Mike Eisenbath

Default Survey says ...

I love reading all the posts here. I learn so much more than I can contribute, but I hope the knowledge (and wisdom!) I gain from all of you I can pay forward to someone else down the line....

My answers:

1. Bought my first pre-war cards in 1971 when I was 10 years old. Responded to an ad in the back of the Sporting News placed by Gar Miller. I bought a T206 Cobb red portrait (for 5 bucks!) as well as a 39 Play Ball Red Ruffing and 40 Play Ball Bill Dickey (even as a kid, I recognized the names of Yankees greats). That got me hooked. I kept collecting contemporary Topps cards but proceeded to gather as many low-grade T206 cards as my lawn-mowing and birthday money allowed. Took a break in the late 70s for college/marriage/kids, back in heavily (for me) a few years ago. Wishing I'd never left, even though I always kept close tabs on things in the hobby.

2. and 3. go together for me: I have 170ish pre-war cards right now. About 130 are T206. I just buy whatever strikes my fancy where they are concerned. I'm a Billy Southworth fan, so I will always be on the lookout for his cards (thank you, Mac, for the Zeenuts Southworth rookie!). And although I only recently bought my first Cracker Jack, I could see myself going full headlong that way.

4. For me, a "significant" card is one I cherish and never would part with. That includes my Cobb portrait, if only for sentimental reasons, my really nice 48 Bowman Musial (whom I remember fondly every time I look at that youthful face), 33 Goudey Dizzy Dean (also really nice), my five 1934 Butterfingers (particularly the Dean and Bottomley) and my dozen W512 strip cards. I know they are kinda unattractive to many, but they strike me like the kitschy art of that era -- and my Babe Ruth, from the peak of his heyday, was one of my first pre-war purchases as well.

I'm not gonna lie when I say collecting cards literally saved my sanity during the last 15 months. All of the Net54 folks have been a part of that. Thank you!
Mike Eisenbath

Last edited by Mike Eisenbath; 06-15-2021 at 08:40 PM. Reason: forgot to clear some stuff