View Single Post
Old 06-07-2021, 11:34 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

A property may do what they want with their property.

I do not think it reasonable to destroy a card for this reason.

I do not see how one can collect cards of this era, know who Chase is to buy a card, and not know he was corrupt. It's one of the most commonly written about things of c. 1910 baseball, that Hal Chase pretty openly and continuously rigged his play and games.

But, I also don't get why baseball collectors specifically go after generally bad people and pay a premium for that fact. Chick Gandil had a 103 OPS+, about a league average bat at first base. He sells for more than some hall of famers, purely because he did a very bad thing. Eddie Cicotte and Vic Willis are very, very similar pitchers statistically. One cheated and was banned, one made the Hall. Vic sells for quite a bit less than the bad boy. Immorality seems to generally make people more interested in that players cards, not less. I'd subscribe it to "any name recognition influences value", except that the bad boys often outsell clean hall of famers with similar name recognition. I do not get this, but I don't get a lot of things.