View Single Post
Old 05-22-2021, 04:55 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Reading through the baseball reference list (first time I'd seen that) gives a fan of 20th century baseball a somber, reflective pause... The first card I recall of Eddie Robinson would have been 1951 Bowman.

The names on the list bring back memories. I recall watching Curt Simmons pitch in St. Louis in 1964. He was left handed, same as me. I was fascinated with the way he moved his right leg folded back across his left leg as he pushed off to deliver a pitch; I tried to emulate that as a little kid. Roger Craig, Joe Pignatano, Charlie Maxwell... Roy Face, Art Ditmar, Mr. Erskine (he's an old school gentleman). Dick Groat (I feel he was underappreciated, he seemed to always have his head in the game, on top of situations; I recall seeing him at bat slightly turning his head as a runner at first broke with a pitch, not to see the runner, but to see which fielder was covering second, Groat could teach the hit and run to modern players if he was of a mind to, he was a master). Willie Mays, Bill Virdon, Bob Skinner (I liked seeing him pinch hit), Joey Amalfitano (I don't know that I saw him play, but it seems like I saw his name across many jerseys as a coach). Ray Washburn could throw hard at times, Mr. Koufax could throw very hard when he wanted to, and Bob Veale could make a catcher's mitt pop. Instead of going on forever I'll just note that #500 is Bill Wakefield... my first awareness of him was from a picture and paragraph of him in a Cardinal yearbook (probably 1964). He was a pitcher in Tulsa, expected to come up to the St. Louis club... But he didn't. He got traded to the Mets, the Cards got Roger Craig in return. He pitched one year in the major leagues. I wrote him, asking a few questions and sending a SASE asking for an autograph in the mid 90s, he signed and kindly answered.

I hope all of those guys stay well.
Nice memories Frank, thanks for posting.

-Joey Amalfitano-

Amalfitano was in a Giants uniform (in the Polo Grounds bullpen) the day Willie Mays made his famous catch in the 1954 World Series and in a Dodgers uniform (as the third-base coach) the day Kirk Gibson hit his homer off Dennis Eckersley in the 1988 World Series.

Amalfitano broke into the majors with the 1954 Giants and played 10 big-league seasons, two with the Giants after they moved West. When Mays felt ill and was going to sit out a game in Milwaukee, Amalfitano lent him his lighter bat, and Mays felt so good with it in batting practice that he played in the game and hit four home runs (conversely Amalfitano had 9 lifetime homers).

Amalfitano, a lifelong baseball man, retired earlier this year from the Giants organization at age 86. So many comments about how considerate he is, such a great storyteller, and incredible baseball knowledge.

They don't make em' like that anymore.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-