View Single Post
Old 05-13-2021, 11:27 AM
Steve Birmingham

In the past, I went for quantity over quality, with the occasional detour. So while I have about half a T206 set, I have few HOFers.
I was also a generalist who bought opportunistically. Nothing was out of bounds, as long as it seemed like a good deal.

And I regularly become inactive or active based mostly on price. Some stuff even on the low end seems to have occasional jumps from one price level to another, and it takes me a long time to adjust.

A few years ago I started trying to be more focused in other hobbies, and it mostly worked. I put together some pretty good collections.
But there are always those things that are out of reach and prevent "completion" Like a variety on a stamp that's already fairly expensive.
Not to mention the ones that are permanently out of reach. Like one item that last sold for 60K, and is in a major collection of a collector I happen to like. He'd basically have to die just as I hit the lottery for me to add tha one. And I don't play the lottery...

One of my other hobbies I basically stopped a few years ago. I think the last thing I bought was 3-4 years ago? None of the stuff on the want list is even remotely affordable anymore. A case of getting into it when it was ignored and prices were low.