View Single Post
Old 05-12-2021, 11:10 AM
Eric Perry

Oh my...I never envisioned this thread would get the number of views and replies that it has.

When looking through the BST forums the other day, I ran into half a dozen or so items on my post-war "want list." Perhaps it was the repetition...see card, want card, look for price of card, find no price. By the time I made it to the 1980-present BST forum, I was already a bit annoyed.

None of these were scarce cards, nor were they tremendously valuable. Think fifth year cards of mid-tier HOFers in EX or so. Just something fun to look forward to in the mail this week. I probably should have just gone on eBay and purchased a 195X Joe Shlabotnik. It certainly would have caused fewer waves. But no. Like I said, I made my way to the 1980-present BST.

Upon arriving, I saw a few common but cool items from the junk wax era. I checked out one of those listings. Guess what? No price (how much?) - no payment details (I can use G&S, right?) - no shipping info (who is paying to ship it...and from where?) - nothing. Posts like this used to be the exception around here. Lately, they're becoming more commonplace. For whatever reason, that rubbed me the wrong way. Straw that broke the camel's back, I suppose.

Anyway, I figured posting a quick mini-rant would help me to blow off steam. Most likely, a couple people would read it and then the thread would quickly drop off the front page. Interestingly, though, quite a few of you have weighed in on this. From a sociological standpoint, this thread has been fascinating to follow. Yogi was right. You can observe a lot by just watching.

I realize not everyone shares my point of view, and that's okay. I rather enjoy the vast difference of opinions here. It would be a pretty boring place if group-think set in. But damn, Net54 is a great place. Let's try not to treat it like Facebook or eBay.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra