View Single Post
Old 03-28-2021, 07:44 AM
Michael

For Lon Warneke's birthday, here is his R300 George C. Miller. According to Old Cardboad, there are two back types (coincidentally, Warneke is one of their examples). I think I just discovered a third type! My card is a Type 1 in all respects except it says Bats/Throws "R/R". I propose that this now makes it unique and the most valuable card in the hobby! It is also possible that Type 1 is identified by the other points mentioned but varies from card to card on whether Bats/Throws is spelled out or abbreviated. Anyway, it is an interesting anomaly from a very cool set.

Update: Further research on VCP indicates that all Type 1 Warneke's say "R/R" and that Type 1 is the more common variation (I could not find a Type 2 example on VCP). So, at least for this particular card, Bats/Throws is not an indicator of back type (and this is not an interesting anomaly or the most valuable card in the hobby). Also, if Old Cardboard is reading this, you can use my Warneke as a Type 1 example. That way the comparison will be of the same player and the variations will be more apparent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg warneke george c miller.jpg (54.3 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg warneke george c miller back.jpg (50.2 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg Old Cardboard write-up.JPG (62.0 KB, 264 views)
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.

Last edited by molenick; 03-28-2021 at 09:24 AM. Reason: futher research