View Single Post
Old 03-24-2021, 08:44 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Tuesday Nite TRIVIA.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Thanks for posting this weeks trivia question Ted. That card reminds me of the time I got shithouse drunk with Mr Larsen at a bar one night.

Hi Phil

Circa 2004.....I met Don Larsen in Cooperstown on HOF weekend. He was set-up at a store front on Main Street signing things. We talked for quite a while
about the events of that magic day in October of 1956. While he signed a few items for me, we reminisced about the two great defensive plays that saved
the no-hitter. There was a sparkle in Don's blue eyes when he recalled the heads-up play by Gil McDougald at Shortstop retrieving the ball off Andy Carey's
mis-Q of a line drive off the bat of Jackie Robinson. Gil rifled it to 1st base to get Jackie out by a step. We talked about Mickey Mantle's great running catch
of Gil Hodges 440-foot drive into "death valley" (left-center field). I found Don to be a very humble guy. He said "the Dodgers made it easy for me, I threw
only 97 pitches".

I told Don..."I watched the entire game on our TV. It was the only day I played hooky from school back in the 1950's ?"

When I was leaving, Don said...."I don't believe you ?"

I stopped and asked him about what ?

Don said...."I don't believe that Oct 8th 1956 was the only day you played hooky from school". We parted laughing.

TED Z

T206 Reference