View Single Post
Old 03-17-2021, 06:42 AM
Brian K

Default Unfortunately, no

I, too am a HUGE Yankee fan. I love Maris, but to look at his stat line, never hit above .283, had two really good years, and caught lightning in a bottle to hit 61 in '61. He is worth of a baseball history "tip of the cap", but not hall worthy.

I agree with a bunch of folks here that the hall quality level has REALLY dropped. Since I was a kid growing up going to Cooperstown every summer, I always felt that the Hall should be reserved for those players that were iconic at their position within the era that they played, and numbers in line with the elites of the game. It seems like the recent classes have really stretched both of those qualifiers. I am probably the lone crazy guy who thinks that Edgar Martinez has no place in the Hall. In fact, I think if DH's are going to go into the hall, they should have a minimum of 3000 hits. If not, they are good, not great, players by comparison, minus the fact that they don't play in the field. I stand by the fact that if Edgar is in, the Cobra should be as well, their numbers are almost the same, but Dave Parker actually played in the field on top of all the batting.

That is my problem with the way people are making it into the Hall currently, it seems to be more about perceptions than reality in the context of the history of the game.