View Single Post
Old 03-09-2021, 08:38 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
I'm sure it's been discussed before, and please excuse the choice of card, but it has me wondering if being lenient about rough cut edges from the factory also makes graders lenient with grading the corners.
Not at all. I’ve held many PSA 8 and PSA 9 O-Pee-Chee cards, and even though they had rough edges, the corners were pretty sharp. However, keep in mind that some of these cards were definitely worked on!

Quote:
I’ve still never understood why being off-center, which is clearly a factory issue, counts against a card but having rough edges, which is possibly a factory issue, does not.
Did PSA change us or did we change PSA? In other words, as the years went by, did more and more collectors start hating OC cards and force PSA to change or was it the other way around? I know that majority of hockey collectors love the rough O-Pee-Chee cuts, but hate OC cards. Hmmm ... maybe PSA is catering to our tastes?
Quote:
This particular card received a 5. Are they assuming the corner damage is just a product of a rough cut? Is that standard?
You’re looking at an older slab. I am not even sure if this card would get the same grade today.