View Single Post
Old 02-06-2021, 03:30 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
100% correct assumption! Hopefully the answer is either never or not in our lifetime.

But I wouldn't put it past them. Especially with the new ownership team that's coming soon. New owners are always looking to grow their business by thinking "outside the box".

PSA already authenticates cards, silks, photos, tickets, pins, autographs, bats, gloves, and probably other items that don't immediately come to mind. I even saw recently that they slabbed/graded a cut-out of Mickey Mantle's image from the top of a 1968 Topps Posters Display Box.

I doubt that they'd actually slab a pennant, but who knows? I think that if/when they delve into pennants, it would be their dumb numbered sticker on the back side, accompanied by a Letter of Authenticity (with matching ID).

Of course if you have even the most elementary knowledge about pennants, this is all totally unnecessary (and a complete waste of money).
Probably the only thing preventing them from slabbing pennants is the sheer size of the slab needed. Can you imagine one of the oversized pennants being incased with a label at one end? But I have no doubt they would do it if someone was willing to pay. After all, it’s all about money and absolutely nothing about authenticity or grades.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown