View Single Post
Old 11-14-2020, 06:20 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

I'm a little strange when it comes to slabs, I agree that high dollar cards should be slabbed for protection and insurance purposes, it's just where the hobby has gone. If my kids gonna inherit a 100k collection it should be catalogued with prices paid, any notes about individual cards, etc. so he has a baseline of information to make his choices intelligently about the collection. I also have a portion of cards I collected as a kid that will never be slabbed so I can still take them out and go down memory lane occasionally.

When it comes to the actual slab I prefer all my 50's and 60's Topps in PSA flips with a NM 7 grade. I do have 6's and 8's but prefer 7's by a wide margin. There are exceptions of course like 52 Jackie that looks so much better with an SGC black apron.

For me, pre-war and 51 bowmans look best in an SGC green label flip. The black apron always presents the card better and the green label compliments the size and delicacy of a pre war card.

My issue with the new SGC label on pre war is that it overpowers the card itself. The number grade is literally 1/3 the size of a T206 or similar pre-war card. The label is bright, ugly, and obtrusive. Just look at any newly stabbed T206, say a Wajo portrait, it just doesn't look right. Pre-war cards have a nuance, so should the label. I spoke to Brian over at SGC and asked him if he could slab some pre-war for me in the green label. Unfortunately no was the answer.

So here I sit with 25k of unslabbed cards, all dressed up with nowhere to go. I've actually completed full orders at both companies with these cards but can't pull the trigger for the above reasons. If PSA offered a black apron option they would put SGC out of business when it comes to pre-war.

I'm just hoping the new grading company offers a well designed label and a black apron option. And soon.