View Single Post
Old 09-09-2020, 03:23 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Did bigfanNY say why he thought the card was a reprint? I don't recall ever seeing a fake W554 that wasn't completely obvious and from your scans, the card looks good to me. However, i can see where the color looks off on the original Ebay listing. The dot pattern surrounding the signature looks good, the solid signature looks good. The front should feel smooth while the back has a slight texture and a slightly grainy/wavy look. The card stock should be stiff. If you pinch the card at the top or bottom and hold it horizontally, there should be almost no deflection (see additional comment below). Pictured is my Grove for comparison.

One thing to keep a look out for is there are at least 2 versions of the cards. The cards are either sepia or B&W and to varying degrees. In addition, they come with either the name printed at the bottom or not printed at the bottom. Generally, the thought is that the B&W don't have the name and the sepia have the name, however I'm not 100% sure that is always the case. The B&W ones also are on a thinner card stock that will hang down when pinched as described above. Also W554s should not be confused with the Kashin premiums which are completely different and much brighter. And if you want a real challenge, there are also back prints such as the Bonemery and a few different printed in red ink that are quite a bit more difficult to find, especially the red ones.

E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers