View Single Post
Old 08-26-2020, 10:15 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Ok with pictures this time.

Here's an old press, from about the time the cards were printed. This one is very typical of both lithography and letterpress presses of the time. This one is probably letterpress.

Here's the same image with some poorly drawn arrows pointing out the guide fingers/rollers that keep the paper organized in the outfeed area.

Here's a video showing a couple different presses running, including one similar to the one in the pictures that has fewer rollers/guides, but does have the running belts and a different set of guides.

https://www.net54baseball.com/pictur...ictureid=28826

With the ink wet, any of those guides can drag on the printed area causing a line.
Wow, Steve, I think you solved it! Makes complete sense! Your resourcefulness is incredible. Let's see if I can attach the image I was referring to from PSA (old school that I am, I've never done this before).1916 M101-5 April, 2018 Heritage Auction Babe Ruth provence card.jpg You have to look a bit harder to see the higher line. I'm thinking that this was a limited event as to time and number of cards affected--is that consistent with your thinking?

With high regard,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 08-26-2020 at 10:57 PM.