View Single Post
Old 08-14-2020, 11:09 AM
Den*nis O*Brien

Default A Wonderful Thread....

... for the older members here. I thank the OP for putting the question up here. It really was rewarding to put the weekly allowance into a pile of wax packs with all the magic of hidden possibilities. And to go a bit afield and grab a few Zorro, Jets, Davy Crockett and various TV westerns packs. As has been mentioned, chewing so much gum the jaw hurt. The garbage can in front of the corner store over flowing with those glorious wrappers, huge wads of chewed pink gum and sometimes discarded baseball commons from a disappointed buyer. I have fuzzy memories of opening '55 Bowman and clear pictures of '58 and '59 Topps packs with those bright background colors bursting from the ripped wax . The Op is so very right there are a few important missing components to modern collecting. That is one of the reasons that I have no interest in the shiny new stuff. But I have had this tray of '78 unopened packs for over 30 years and have tattered the cellophane a bit. Although it is way too new for my collecting tastes I have resisted opening them just to test my resolve. But some nights before the 3rd glass of box vino....they are in danger. I have found that handling the book "The Wax Pack" soothes my need enough until I fall asleep. With the cover, The author has recreated the wax pack feel pretty accurately. Yep...packs were great !!