View Single Post
Old 08-14-2020, 10:55 AM
Michael Skiles

Default Back in the Day

I grew up in Detroit. I started collecting in 1962. I went into the Army in 1978 and was stationed in Maryland. I met Denny Eckes. He had a shop in Laurel, Maryland. He helped Beckett make his first price guide and he also published the first T206 checklist book. (For the author, he didn't write) There were a few shows around the area the, Nick Schoff and Bill Scott had a "store" near DC that was great. When I got out in 1981 and returned to Detroit it was booming with shows. Lloyd and Carol Toerpe put on a "National" in Plymouth with dealers from all over. John Stomen did shows and was producer of Sports Collectors Digest. He was a great guy and would trade cards. Jim Hawkins produced some great shows with autograph guests. A few of the dealers got together and managed to get most of the 1968 Tigers to come around for a whole year to sign. I used to trade cards with Kevin Savage of Ohio. The atmosphere back then was great. Most of the dealers knew what I was collecting and would look for things I needed. They were always willing to cut the price. There were lotsa shops to go to. Ebay changed it all. In some ways it's good and in some ways bad. The Nationals back then were great. There were NO corporate booths. It was great meeting people for the first time from other parts of the country. (Dr. Mcavoy, Joe Colabella, etc.) It's too money driven now and I detest the "grading" of cards. No standards, just someone's opinion.