View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 12:05 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default The Stratton Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
Hello MikeGarcia

Thanks for your positive response to my Post #7 regarding the Monty Stratton movie. And, thanks for posting your Monty Stratton photo and the 1938 Wirephoto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
.......Plus, there is a very interesting back-story regarding Jimmy Stewart's career regarding this movie. If you are interested....stay tuned.

OK I think you will find this story interesting. During WWII, Jimmy Stewart enlisted in the Army-Air Force. He flew 20 combat missions in a Squadron of B-24’s over Germany.
Colonel James Stewart was the leader of this Squadron. In the AF Reserve he rose to the rank of Brigadier General.
His first post-war movie was...."It’s A Wonderful Life", which was a boxoffice disappointment in 1946. And, of course has been a Christmas favorite ever since. Jimmy became
disenchanted with Hollywood, and went back to his hometown in Indiana, Pennsylvania to work with his Dad at their Hardware store.
In 1949, Hollywood Director Sam Wood contacted Jimmy and persuaded him to be the star in his movie, The Stratton Story. This movie was presented early in the BB season
and was very successful (it grossed $4.5 Million at the boxoffice). Plus, it won an Academy Award (Best Motion Picture Story).
This movie renewed Jimmy's enthusiasm to continue his Acting career again. And, what more can I say......the rest is history.

TED Z

T206 Reference